Sleep is one of the best forms of self-love you can ever give yourself. This is why you should do your best to keep your bedroom conducive to rest.
Consider this list a life hack or an adulting guide to improving the quality of your sleep using design.
Design Considerations and Solutions to Help You Get the Best Sleep
While most people don’t give it much thought, the layout of a bedroom is crucial in giving you good quality sleep. Understanding the structure of the room can help you design your room that will make it more conducive to relaxation.
Elements to consider:
- Size of walls
- Placement of doors, windows, and closet
- Location of the bed
- Dimensions of furniture and shelves
- Convenience outlets, switches, and telephone/modem ports
Once you understand the space better, the better you can get your room organized. An organized room helps make sleeping easier and hanging out in the room more relaxing.
Bed and Furniture
As for your furniture, you need to keep two things in mind:
- Your comfort is your priority in choosing the type of bed and mattress that you will buy. People have different preferences when it comes to this matter. But there are no right and wrong answers here. As long as you’re comfortable sleeping in it and it gives you the best sleep ever, regardless of whether you get a brand-new memory foam mattress for sale or a somewhat firmer but decent second-hand one, it’s your call to make.
- The size of your furniture should be proportional to the size of your bedroom. If your room is a bit tidy, putting in huge and bulky pieces will make the already tight space seem more cramped, which can make one feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable. Choose furniture that complements your room’s size and theme to provide an element of harmony to your boudoir.
When it comes to relaxation, ambiance plays a huge factor. Have you ever noticed why you feel more relaxed in places like a hotel or a lovely coffee shop? Notice how cozy they are? That’s because a lot of thought was given on the design process, including the vibe that the space is supposed to give off.
You can use a similar approach and make some changes to your room’s atmosphere. Making the necessary changes to improve your room’s ambiance will help improve the quality of rest that you get in it.
Due to the pandemic, many people have been very particular about the quality of air in their homes. More than just protection from the coronavirus, improving your bedroom’s air quality helps make for a more relaxing atmosphere.
A simple solution would be to put indoor plants in your room. Aloe vera and rubber plants are a couple of great examples that are ideal for the bedroom. You can also buy a dehumidifier to keep the air circulation fresh and free of moisture. ;
One of the best — and simplest — things you can do to improve the quality of your sleep is to keep your room neat and tidy. Mess and clutter have been found to cause sleep deprivation in a lot of people.
If you have a lot of stuff in your room and you have very minimal closet space, consider adding alternative storage options such as storage boxes, shelves, or furniture that have storage capacity.
The brightness level in your room can affect the state your mind is in. In most cases, people tend to prefer to sleep in darkness. Some like to leave a nightlight on, but generally, folks prefer to sleep with as minimal light as possible.
You can design your bedroom lighting in a way that caters to your preference.
We hope that you found this list helpful. Do you have any other ways that help you get better sleep other than the ones listed above? Please share them with us in the comment section below.